Friday, June 09, 2006

Alaskan Airlines

Today's my brother's birthday: he turned 57 at the stroke of midnight. So I am posting in his honor today. Last year, his job as a ramp worker for Alaskan Airlines, as all 472 ramp workers were at SeaTac, was eliminated for so called cost savings reasons. He worked for the company nearly 15 years. His job was contracted out to a British Company, who employees people at very low wages and pay virtually no benefits to them for the reason of cutting payroll.

I've been in business all my life, well my adult life, I understand the need for austerity in trying times. It's seems the management of Alaskan Air talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk. While they were union busting executive compensation increased 15% or $52,000,000 from 2004 to 2005 according their annual report. They bust the union workers, and pay themselves shamelessly more!

As a side note, and not part of the intent of the blog. Seems to me the nation was quite upset about foreign ownership of our ports and the associated security risk. What about our airports? Thank you Alaskan Airlines for upping the risk to our nation.

How do you fight back. Show the airline you won't support such incongruence by flying airlines other than Alaskan.

Happy Birthday Rick!

No comments: